What is altitude training?
Altitude training, also known as hypoxic training, involves exercising in, living in or otherwise breathing oxygen reduced air for the purpose of improved athletic performance, pre-acclimatization to altitude and/or physical wellness/ rehabilitation. In the past, individuals had to travel to or live at high elevations to obtain the benefits of this.
Now we are able to reproduce the effects of altitude at sea level via a hypoxic generator. Through the production of normobaric hypoxic (oxygen reduced) air, we can simulate altitudes of up to 21,000ft/6,400m.
Why it works?
When the human body is exposed to hypoxia (oxygen reduced environments), it struggles to produce required amounts of energy with less available oxygen. This struggle triggers the onset of a range of physiological adaptations geared towards enhancing the efficiency of the body's respiratory, cardiovascular and oxygen utilization systems.
Normal sea-level training will only drop Arterial Oxygen Saturation (SaO2) a couple of % from its usual 96-98%. A Hypoxic workout at a moderate intensity will drop this measure of oxygen saturation in the blood to the 80% or 70%. This de saturation replicates what happens at high altitude. This deep hypoxia in the muscles stimulates a whole host of adaptations that make them more efficient.
Benefits of Altitude Training
- Higher intensity workout
- Burn more calories, increase metabolism, enhance speed, power and recovery
- Accelerated Weight loss
- Stimulate Human Growth Hormone production to burn fat and build muscl
- Burn more Calories compared to a standard workout
- Burn greater fat stores post exercise
- Improve metabolism
- Reduce water retention
- Aid Rehabilitation
- Benefits injured or rehabilitation users
- Maintain fitness whilst injured by reducing the exercise duration without compromising the benefits
- Increase the body’s natural potential to recover through the adaptive process
- Increase blood flow, increase oxygen delivery and stimulate stem cells that repair damaged tissue
- Acclimatize for travel to high altitude
- Start the acclimatisation process before you leave
- Limit the drop off in performance when at altitude
- Maximize the training effect at altitude by arriving acclimatised
Sportesse are the only gym to offer this training option in the North West, so if you would like to find out more information, or sign up for altitude training, please contact the team on 01257266876 or fill out the contact us form on the site and we will get back to you.